Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So, What's Wrong With "Universal Healthcare" You Ask?

Well, let’s see if I may assist you.

I do not object to the concept of health care for everyone, though I assert it is a Utopian concept (much like pure democracy and communism) and thus impractical. What I object to is government control and/or expanded intervention.

Many folks believe that it is the government's duty to protect its citizens. Many of those same folks assert that it is there for the duty of the government to extend and/or regulate health care.

This was first generally addressed in the Declaration of Independence. Although not a legal document, it is a point of reference for the concept. Let me quote the pertinent section I am referencing:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Gives me chills, to this day.

Of course, the actual legal document that solidified the concept in our laws is the Constitution. The first part of the Constitution simply defines the government branches and their powers. But what is truly interesting is what comes next.

Fearing tyranny like that of the old empires, the writers of the Constitution moved to add 12 Amendments that limited the government, and what they could impose upon the people.

Let me repeat the VERY important part of that last paragraph:

limiting the government.

Really, think about this. What is at the root of this health care problem we all face? What caused it, you think? Is it the free market economy gone amok? No, I don’t think so.

It is the imposition of the government, as they pass laws that restrict upon the rights of the individual while protecting corporation, such as insurance companies and credit card companies and whoever lobbies in officials back pockets.

So, with it established that government is the problem you actually want the government to intervene MORE? This is yet more expansion of government power. Do you honestly think instead of being the problem, they can become the solution?

Are you nuts?!?!

Look, I am all for the government protecting the little guy from the corporations, but this isn’t the way. To properly address this, we need to remove the lobby, re-establish the government free from the corporate entities and the let the free market take it's course.

No comments: