Monday, April 18, 2005

The Band- a Bit of History, Part I

I thought I would give you some background on the folks I play with and a bit of my own musical history.

I have been playing bass guitar since 1986. I've played on local commercials, on CD's and live in front of large crowds that pay to actually see your group; in bluegrass, country, hard rock and various metal bands; and just as a songwriter or co-producer. I have always seemed to wander back though, to the same core of guys that it all started with 19 years ago.

First there is Richie. I met Rich in high school in the mid-80's- he was a couple of years younger than I was at the time. We first met in our schools brand new computer lab stocked with Commodore 64's and Apple IIe's at the time. Here was this kid in a leather MC jacket that just exuded attitude. I was one of the students that was picked to test the new computer courses, so I was on of the kids ahead of everyone else on the learning curve. He was having problem with his Commodore 64 and the teacher told me to go back and help him. I don't remember this part, but Rich said I came back there with an attitude of my own. I fixed it and went about my business.

I was also working at a local music store. I was wanting to learn bass, so I figured what better way to do it than hang out there? I became friends with the owner and his family took me on as one of their "extended family". I soaked in everything I could from everyone and everything I could regarding music. One day, in walked this kid from the school computer lab- same attitude and same leather jacket. This time, he was with his Dad. Well, one thing led to another and the "quintessential" 80's band was formed- Crystal Blaze. Rich was on drums, I was on bass, a fellow named Lyle was on guitar and the singer was Scott Mays (who is still part of the extended family I am writing about today, but that will come later). We were dubbed "3 hoods and a prep" (Scott being the prep) by a local southern rock singer. It was a typical "first" band. I had been playing for about a year. We had at best mediocre gear, all of us being in our teens. Richie's Dad (Virgil- God bless his soul) bought us a little PA system to practice through but if we needed to gig we pulled gear from the store I worked at (the owner was good to me this way). We played downtown at a local music fest sponsored by the store and at the local "jam" sessions. It was good times.

And then I went to college.

No comments: